Monday, May 31, 2004

It's Good to be the Tuna Girl

So it's Memorial Day. I could go on and on about sacrifice, freedom, the military. You know. All the regular stuff. I could also go on and on about being alone and bored. But I won't.

Lately I've been feeling pretty damn lucky. I've mentioned before how I really like the people behind the blogs I read. And a lot of those people are going through hard times, or have been through hard times and are kicking ass and taking names now, or are watching and supporting their friends going through hard times.

I am very lucky.

I live a pretty privileged and comfortable life. I've never not gotten something that I wanted. Never. That might sound like I'm spoiled (and I might be a little bit) but it's more that I was blessed with some great things and was smart enough to know that when you combine blessings with hard work, you can pretty much get anything you want.

Like everyone, I have things in my life that could be better. My family could communicate better. My husband could be home. I could take better care of myself. I could be more organized.

But hell. That's about it. That's nothing. Those are all pretty small and very temporary things. And they're mostly things that I could change on my own.

I am loved. I am very, very well-loved. What more could anyone want, really? I have wonderful and healthy children. I have a few good friends. I have enough money to do the things I want to do. I'm doing something fulfilling with my life on a daily basis.

I'm not sure what else to say.

Sometimes I sit just staring at someone's blog entry, wishing that I had something inspiring or even comforting to say. But I really don't have a lot to add to the discussion. My instinct is to give hugs. That sounds corny, but I mean it.

That's kind of funny too, because I'm known among my friends as a non-hugger. But truly, all I want to do is reach out to you and offer the only comfort I can give.

So, if you've been writing deep posts, or going through something difficult, or even experiencing some wonderful things, and I haven't commented on your blog...It's only because I don't know what to say.

But consider yourself hugged.

No comments: