Sunday, May 16, 2004

A Tuna Weekend

It has been a strange weekend. First off, we went out for Mexican food on Friday night. Do you want to see something funny? Watch a white, Irish Catholic girl from Boston eat Mexican food. My nose and cheeks turn red. My nose runs. And I sweat profusely. And that's just from the chips!

On Saturday, a technician from DirectTV was supposed to come and provide us with a free dish upgrade so that we can continue to receive local channels. Sounds good to me. They were supposed to be here between 8 a.m. and noon. They didn't show up until 3:30 p.m. Then it took them over 2 hours to get the new one working, and it involved moving the dish across the yard and my husband threading the cable under the house himself. For someone who says he's a little claustrophobic, he spends a lot of time under our house.

So, anyway...when they finally left, we took the kids to the BX to have dinner in the food court and let them play in the indoor play area. After, we went shopping for just a few things that we needed.

As we walked in and had our IDs checked, my daughter said, "I hope we don't buy anything." So my husband started teasing her about not being any fun. He had planned to buy her some candy, which is a fairly rare occurrence, and was sort of teasing her about following her around the store. She got the impression that he was going to let her pick out something she wanted. So she chose a stuffed animal. Which wasn't his intention was at all. She started crying. He got mad. I suggested they go to the car. She wailed on the walk out. He YELLED at her near the front door.

Ugh. I was embarrassed. I must say, that in all the time I've been a mother, I've never been embarrassed in public. My kids aren't perfect, but the few times they've melted down in public, I took quick and decisive action. I never had anything to be ashamed of.

In my husband's defense, he asked for her forgiveness for yelling at her in public. And she asked for his forgiveness for crying and being spoiled. He just doesn't get that people can't read his mind and understand his ulterior motives. I can't do it. A four-year-old certainly can't.

And in his further defense, I can't get into why, but he was taking "go pills" as part of a test. I think they really effected his personality.

Which takes us to the next weird part of our weekend. I sometimes feel like I never sleep. And I often get household stuff done in the middle of the night. Last night, I had a partner in crime. At 2 a.m. my husband was building bookshelves. Today he did yardwork (unheard of!) and took the kids out to run errands. I took advantage of my free time by sleeping it all away. I hate when I do that.

Okay, this is quite possibly the most tedious post ever!

No comments: