Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Give Me One Moment in Time

As of this moment every article of clothing we own (except for the ones on our backs) is clean, folded, and put away.

It is a miracle.

And I'm not even wearing underwear, so all of my underwear is clean.

Let me just revel in that for a moment.

Ah.

Feels so good.

It won't last long.

For one thing...

*cue the flying monkey music*

...my parents are on their way.

They decided on the spur of the moment last week to drive down for Christmas.

Yes, you read that right. Drive down. Almost 3,000 miles. Because my father doesn't like to fly. Note that I didn't say "is afraid to fly." I said "doesn't like to fly." He has control issues.

But their Christmas Eve departure was delayed until Tuesday evening so that my father could visit his eye doctor.

Oh, yeah. Did I mention that?

He's going blind.

But he's going to hop right in the car and drive across country to see the kids. (I originally wrote to see "me" but clearly that isn't the case.)

Having a father who is going blind puts a hell of a lot of guilty pressure on me to let him "see" the kids.

Oh! And the next time my mother kvetches at me for not calling her while I'm traveling I'm just going to say, "Hey, yeah. Remember that time you drove across country with your half-blind husband? Mmm hmm. Yeah. Thanks for the phone calls."

Parents. They're like children with better accessories.

No comments: