Wednesday, December 13, 2006

In which my children learn the word blog

Alternately titled: Awwww, Fuck

My children had a beginner violin concert yesterday. It was rather cool because they got to share the experience. My son was the youngest beginner on the stage and my daughter played the most advanced piece.

The boy was so cute. He didn't suffer even the slightest bit of hesitation and was nothing but attentive and happy. The girl did pretty well herself. A piece actually fell off her bow, but she ignored it and played on. I was really proud of them. They were mostly interested in getting cookies at the reception.

As we were getting in the car, a man called out to me. He seemed familiar and I thought he might be on the school board. So rather than ignore him, which I am known to do (because my dad was a cop and taught me that all strangers are to be feared) I spoke with him.

He explained that he was the "editor" of a blog. My first thought was that he recognized me from here. Talk about a freak out moment! Then suddenly I remembered where I had seen him before.

Last year our violin school had a private concert with a famous cellist. This blogger had come in and started taking pictures and it made the director nervous. When she suggested that he get the cellist permission first he explained that he wrote a blog like it gave him some kind of press pass. He spoke of his blog like it was the New York Times arts section.

I was laughing hysterically on the inside. And when I got home I checked out his blog. Um, yeah. Nice blog, dude. I was going to write about it at the time, but never got around to it. (Or never found a way to make it interesting.) (Still haven't.)

Knowing the extent of his readership, I agreed to let our picture be taken for his blog. He explained how I could find it and asked us our names. He asked me if I was their mother because I look too young to be anyone's mother. GUFFAW!

When we got in the van my daughter exclaimed, "I'm finally going to be famous!"

"Well, not really, honey. I'm sorry but it just isn't that big of a deal."

"I'm going to tell my teacher that I'm going to be in the Arts Blog!" she said. "I'm going to be on the Internet!"

"Well, honey, your picture is on the Internet all the time. I'm always putting pictures of you guys up to share with my friends." I just couldn't think of how to explain a blog to her.

She's not convinced that I know what I'm talking about. How could her mom have any clue about something as hip as blogging? She's just sure that this will be her launch to fame. That this is how she will finally be known!

Combine this with the fact that she read an e-mail over my shoulder and has figured out the whole Tuna Girl thing and I think I'll soon be forced out of my blogging closet.

Shit. Fuck. Damn. Piss.

I better get it all out now before I'm forced to clean things up.

Note to self: Look into Net Nanny!

You know what's really going to suck? When she gets a blog of her own.

Shit. Damn. Piss. Fucking hell!

No comments: