Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Five Years

Five years ago today I started this little blog.

In 2004 my daughter was four-years-old and in preschool. She had just started soccer and she did ballet. Now she's getting ready to go to fifth grade in a new school. She's playing advanced soccer and auditioning for an orchestra.

In 2004 my son was two-years-old. He wasn't even potty trained yet. Back then I said, "He is sweet and affectionate. He is also very strong-willed and independent. He's a lot like me, come to think of it." And boy, was I right. He's still all those things but now he reads and writes and does fourth grade math.

In 2004 my husband was at "Top Gun". He was still a captain. Gosh, we were young! Now he's up for a promotion and working at a completely different job at a completely different place. He's a lot more gray and has a lot less hair. And our marriage is better than ever.

In 2004 I was thirty-years-old. That's so young! I was a stay-at-home mom then too but my life was completely different. (My hair is still full and not gray.)

When I think of how much I have grown and changed since then, I am astounded. I am still amazed that people come by and read anything I have to say here on the web.

Every year on my blog-o-versary I thank the three guys who really got me going in this whole blogging world. But this year, all three of them have all closed up shop, at least for the time being.

To be honest, I had been planning for months to join them. I had completely committed to ending my blog today. I went through a whole process of coming to accept the end of Tuna Girl and moving on. Until I talked to my husband about it last night.

As the person who knows me best in the world, he was worried that when he deploys next, I would really miss it. I would miss the connections and the outlet.

I thought and thought about it. And I was tempted to go ahead and go on a hiatus and leave things more open-ended. But I had always promised myself that when I ended it, I'd end it completely.

So, instead I have decided to try and write more freely. Even if no one ever comes by to read what I have to say, it is still good for me to have a place to get everything out.

So once again, for my fifth year in a row on St. Patrick's Day I want to thank Nicky, Mark and Matthew, my friends and family, for getting me started in this crazy blog world and continuing to be so special to me five years in.

No comments: