Sunday, October 23, 2005

Mystery Solved

I'm not a morning person. At all.

Saying I'm not a morning person is kind of like saying that Pamela Anderson does not have small tits.

It's a massive understatement.

So my daughter and I have a deal. Every night I set her alarm clock for 6:30 a.m. When her alarm goes off, she's supposed to come knock on my door and wake me up, then start getting ready for school.

Since she's my kid, and I love her, I don't bite her head off. I can't say the same for when my husband wakes me up. Somehow, he just seems to deserve the full brunt of my morning disposition.

But it has been weeks since this plan has worked correctly.

I keep hitting the snooze button on my own alarm until it finally decides to just reset itself for the next day. Just before 7 a.m. I wake up in a panic and run to my daughter's room, to roll her out of bed and start her on her belated morning routine.

And we eat breakfast in the car.

My son usually wakes up at some ungodly hour, though not before 5:30 a.m. when my husband usually leaves for work. He spends the first hour of his day, sister and mother-free, playing with the train set in his room.

On Friday, I overslept, as has become the norm. I rushed to my daughter's room followed closely by my son. I checked her alarm clock and wondered out loud, "How come this didn't go off? I know I set it last night."

To which my son innocently replied, "I shut it off, Mommy. I didn't want it to wake up my sister."

"Buddy?!" I had to laugh. "Why did you do that?"

"So I could play longer, Mommy," was his simple reply.

Well, duh. So it turns out that my son has been turning my daughter's alarm off every morning for the last couple of weeks. And none of us were the wiser.

Some woman is going to be in big trouble when she marries him.

No comments: