Friday, February 10, 2006

One of the Good Ones

UPDATE: Thanks for all the congratulation in the comments, you guys. We really appreciate it.
*****

My husband is in the habit of forwarding me e-mails from work regarding anything he might forget to mention to me. You know the sort of thing. Wives' Coffees, family events, meetings, or pay issues.

Tonight, when he got home from work, I was in an exceptionally bad mood. He's also in the habit of inviting me to come sit on our bed and talk about our days while he gets changed out of his uniform.

I seem to remember walking in our bedroom door and announcing that I had a headache.

"Take some medicine," he told me.

I retorted (okay, I yelled), "You know, that doesn't help me. After all these years I think I know when I need to take medicine!"

He replied with a very calm, "Why don't you lie down and rest?"

That's the last thing I remember until I woke up when he left for his late night hockey game.

So now it's two in the morning and I'm trying to catch up on everything I slept through today. I just opened my e-mail and saw a forwarded message from him.

It's a message that has filtered down through all of his higher-ups announcing that he has won a huge annual award. I mean, seriously, huge.

Just last night I asked him if he had heard of any results and he told me that he thought his nomination probably didn't even get past his group commander. He went off on a tirade about how they don't appreciate the type of work he does.

Apparently, he was wrong. In the best way possible.

He's also being sent up the chain to compete at the next level. A major command level (for those of you who know what that means). This basically means that he's one of the top dozen or so people at what he dose in our branch of the service.

I'm so fucking proud of him.

And I feel awful that I cranked at him this afternoon and slept through an evening when we should have been celebrating.

Regardless, let's hear it for the Tuna Man. He's one of the good guys. And he's able to achieve amazing professional success while still putting his family first.

And that is the most special accomplishment of all.

No comments: