Friday, July 07, 2006

Banging All Night Long

My son has a disturbing sleep disorder that causes him to rock and bang his head in certain stages of sleep.

It is not a big deal. Supposedly. Children have hard skulls and he'll stop before he hurts himself. And he's supposed to grow out of it by age five.

I'm counting the nights.

No wonder I don't sleep.

Sometimes, I get a little overwhelmed by the whole thing. I've tried just simply telling him not to do it. I've tried telling him why he shouldn't do it. Yet I know it is completely involuntary.

Last night when I put him to bed I actually begged him. "Please, buddy. Please, please try to not bang your head tonight."

"But why, Mommy?" he asked. "You do it."

"I do not."

"Yes, you do, Mommy. I hear you. I hear *buzz*, *buzz* and then bang, bang, bang, and then like ah, ah and *groan*"

*crickets chirping*

His air vent is closed now. It's time to sound-proof our bedroom.

Our next house will have a remote master suite. Until then, I'm padding the headboard and biting a pillow. In fact, I may never have sex again.

No comments: