Monday, July 17, 2006

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It's back to school time.

What? No way. It's the middle of July! Tuna Girl, you trippin'.

Yup. It's 104 degrees here, and I had to go by the school today to drop off all of the back to school forms and a check for $190 that I don't have. School starts on August 9. I just love living in the South.

Things are changing around here so fast. In just three weeks, the kids will both be in school five days a week. I have a whole mess of preschool-3 and first grade stuff to clear out of here. And the boy will soon get to have some of his own activities like soccer and violin.

But I noticed the biggest change last night when I was filling out all of the school forms.

Every year we have to list three emergency contacts. And since our school doesn't have busses, they suggest that these contacts be people who can pick your kids up from school in an emergency.

Last year I listed AH who was at the school a couple of hours a day anyway. No, she didn't work there. She just missed her first grader that much and spent lunch and recess with her most days.

I also listed CB who I would trust with my kids' lives.

And I put my parents in the last spot since they used to visit enough to pick the kids up on occasion.

So, my parents are still on the list, though I don't expect them to visit as much this year.

But CB is gone now. My kids got a post card from her kids the other day. It was sweet. CB is really going through some tough times and I miss her.

And AH is leaving.

Did you hear that? My nemesis is moving on. I won't be seeing her, listening to her gossip, or avoiding her nosy questions every single day anymore. Woo hoo! Happy dance!

Except, fuck.

I have no other emergency contacts. I have no other close friends. I spent so much energy on AH that I never cultivated deeper friendships.

I swear I'm going to make an effort to make better friends with SW this year. There's also a mom who lives down the street who I really like. She's one of a small cross section of military moms who are also school moms and I need to seek more like her out and make friends.

My long distance friends are wonderful. My blog friends are incredible. But I can't keep living in isolation.

I've said this before, but I always had AH as my very annoying safety net. Now it's time to take the leap and let some real life people meet the real me.

No comments: