Friday, August 10, 2007

I'd Like to Thank the Little People.

I had the weirdest thing happen today.

I went to our kids' school's faculty breakfast on behalf of my deployed husband. Have I mentioned that he's on the school board?

As shy as I can usually be in these situations, I was actually excited to go. I figured some of my friends would be there and I've been missing them. I could do with some adult interaction.

But before I even got to the event it started. I ran into a group of preschool teachers who started exclaiming over me. They read my "Other Blog". They read my articles in the paper. They love them. They think I'm great.

I couldn't help but blush through my thank yous.

This has been happening to me all summer. I've gotten long phone messages and e-mail from my friends gushing over my writing in my "Other Blog". It's disconcerting. Flattering for sure. But disconcerting still.

Especially because I think that blog kind of sucks.

But today at that breakfast dozens of people were coming up to me. They wanted to shake my hand. They wanted to let me know that they were "fans". They wanted to meet me! Me?

It's the weirdest thing ever. I mean, I knew people would read that drivel. The site it's on is actively marketed, but I didn't think anyone would really care. I guess I sort of forgot that people I know could read it too. It's nothing like writing here where I am mostly anonymous.

I am incredibly flattered and enormously grateful that people enjoy something I've created. But it is a bit overwhelming.

And I can't help but think what it must be like to be a real celebrity. If I feel this way here in this small city with this tiny audience (and my tinier paycheck), how must really famous people feel? I can suddenly see how people who get so much attention and praise can become so self-absorbed and egotistical that they cease to exist in the real world among mere mortals.

Fame itself is like a drug, I suppose. Once you're addicted, its lure is irresistible.

Do me a favor, will you. Keep me grounded when I'm famous. Don't let me forget the little people.

Man, I was looking forward to the adult interaction but that was ridiculous.

No comments: