Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Getting Oral

I had a root canal today.

I'm pissed off about it too. It's a long story, but basically none of it--the original cavity and crown or today's root canal--were my fault. Apparently, I've been walking around with a major infection in my mouth for almost a year. Antibiotics to the rescue.

Anyway, my handsome dentist is a friendly enough guy. But he's very businesslike. Not overly chatty.

At one point during today's appointment, they were unable to find some tool they needed. So the assistant scurried off, leaving the dentist with his fingers in my mouth, holding something still.

We sat like that for about five minutes. In total silence.

I've never really thought about it before, but letting someone put his fingers in your mouth is a very intimate thing.

In fact, the last time someone other than a dentist had his fingers in my mouth was...well...I'm not sure. Probably the last time my husband and I had wild sex. Putting your fingers in someone's mouth (or having someone put his fingers in your mouth) is one of those weird sexual things that can either be a total turn on or a complete turn off, depending on the mood.

Either way, that was not the best train of thought to be following while my dentist held my tongue still.

I've never been so glad to see an assistant enter with an instrument of torture in all my life.

No comments: