Monday, May 15, 2006

Appreciate Me

I'm sort of sad that Mother's Day is over. I've been using the May trifecta of Military Spouse Appreciation Day, Mother's Day, and my birthday to, oh, get my way here and there.

"Appreciate me!" I tell my family when I want them to stop watching car shows, or clean their rooms, or buy me stuff. Once my birthday is over, I'm going to have to go back to good old fashion bribery to get what I want.

My husband had to work on Sunday, so he brought me a box of Godiva chocolates on Saturday night. Smart man. You know what I hate about Godiva chocolates? That eventually, they're gone. I could live on that stuff.

My kids made gifts for me at school. Now I have a Preschool-3 handprint plate from my son to match the one my daughter made at the same age. Their preschool teacher also has the kids complete a "language experience" where they fill in the blanks about their mothers.

Here's what my four-year-old had to say about me.

My Mom

My mom is 40 and a half seconds years old.

My mom is the prettiest when at Mom's Day.

My mom likes to make a person.

My mom always says, "No."

My mom is funny when she makes me laugh.

Can you explain what he means by "a person" because he can't? And it is a damn good thing he added that "seconds" part to the forty and a half, or we'd be having words.

At three-years-old, my daughter had this to say.

My Mom

My mom's job is to take care of my baby brother.

The best food she cooks is eggs.

We like to play outside.

She looks pretty when she's wearing a dress.

What she probably should have said is that the only food I cook that she'll eat is eggs and that I so rarely wear a dress that it is shocking when I do.

All in all it was a nice weekend. I'm a little down right now, but I'm sure that by the time school let's out next week, I'll be back to my old self. At least I hope so, because I'm facing a 28 hour drive in a mini van with two kids and a dog and it is best to start out in a good mood.

No comments: