Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Protecting the Plate

There is a saying in softball.

"A walk is as good as a hit."

For some reason, in my semi-conscience state this morning, while getting ready for the day, that phrase was running through my head over and over again.

A walk is as good as a hit. A walk is as good as a hit. A walk is as good as a hit.

It isn't even always true.

Sure, when you take a walk, you get to advance to first base. But when you swing away, you have the chance of hitting a home run.

You also have the chance to strike out.

So unless you only need one run to win a game, and the bases are loaded, a walk is really only a less bad alternative. You've got to evaluate how the pitcher has been throwing. You've got to evaluate how you've been hitting. You've got to evaluate the needs of the team.

When I realized what I was muttering while half-asleep this morning, I took it as a sign that I need to step up to the plate ready to swing. But the more I've thought about it, the more I realized that it might be a sign that I need to take what I can get.

As long as I get more balls than strikes, I'm at least headed to first.

But as I sit here writing I've realized something.

I can't even remember the last time I was up to bat.

It's time to dust off my cleats and step into the box. Let's see what this pitcher's got.

No comments: