Wednesday, January 21, 2009

All I Really Want

My husband and I were watching that really annoying DirecTV commercial that mimics Desperate Housewives. You know, the one where one woman says she's bringing "Chicken a la Beth" and the other woman says she's bringing "brownies a la supermarket" to their friend's house.

In a moment of vulnerability and conscience sharing I said, "I wish I had friends who just came by."

"No, you don't," my husband replied. "You'd feel like the house had to be spotless all the time."

"No, I do." I insisted. "I want friends who are close enough that they won't care if they have to push laundry off the furniture to sit down."

I don't think I've ever had friends like that. I mean, there are a couple of people in my life who could be those kind of friends, but they live far away and I never call them. And I suppose my college friends were like that. But you never have friends again like the ones you had in the dorm. Real life just doesn't work that way.

My life is so full. I've got the best of everything that is important. I hit the life jackpot.

I just wish I had some friends who I could share my jackpot with. All I really want out of life is a husband who loves me as much as I love him, kids who know they are loved, and friends to gossip with over blueberry bagels and Diet Coke.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments: