Friday, January 30, 2009

Growth

For the last few days my husband has been all upset over the fact that my daughter's jacket is always in a ball on the floor of her bedroom. He keeps telling her she better hang it up.

I told him, "I've given up on that battle. In a heap on the floor is where she keeps it. At least she knows where it is. Every time we leave the house, she has her jacket on. That's huge progress!"

So I was thinking...

In first grade...

I'd ask my daughter, "Where's your jacket?"

And she'd look at me and ask, "What jacket?"

In second grade...

I'd ask my daughter, "Where's your jacket?"

And she'd start crying.

In third grade...

I'd ask my daughter, "Where's your jacket?"

And she'd look at me, start crying and wail, "I don't know!"

In fourth grade...

I ask my daughter, "Where's your jacket?"

And she looks at me, starts crying and says, "I left it at school."

I choose to look at it as progress.

No comments: