Friday, May 04, 2007

And never the twain shall meet!

Ack! No! World's colliding! World's colliding!

My Tuna World and my real world have collided from time to time. It is always shocking. But once I crossed the line and made very good real life friends out of some blogger friends it was bound to happen.

The first time I went to New York back in December, 2004 I met a bunch of bloggers. And that was exciting but nerve wrecking. But bloggers understand bloggers to a point. It was the people who introduced themselves to me who were readers but not bloggers that shocked me a little.

They were great people, Bonnie included. But while I knew that there were most likely people out there reading about my life to whom I had no connection, actually meeting them was disconcerting.

Then Patrick visited here that next February and met my local friends. And managed not to have gay sex in CB's kitchen. Then Mark met my kids (who were on their best behavior, thank goodness). Then Patrick met my mother. And then my husband! And that was beyond stressful.

But even though my blog friends met real people in my life, those real people never heard about my blog.

Then I went to a meeting yesterday.

Woo boy! Okay, I set myself up for it. On a whim, I followed a link and filled out an application to blog for a local website. Yes, I submitted blog examples. (It was harder than I thought it would be to find some without f-bombs and sexual references.) But somehow it never occurred to me that I would have to meet the people who read those samples in real life.

When I got the call that they did want me to be a part of their new site, I was very flattered. I was asked to attend a start-up meeting. And still. Nope. Captain Clueless here never thought about the fact that I would be meeting real local people who read my blog.

So when the site designer sat down next to me and told me how much he loved my blog, how funny he thought it was...well...I almost died of embarrassment.

All I could think of was that I had written just that morning about all the sex I'd had the night before. Please God, please God, please God don't let him have read that this morning was all I could think. And then I knew I had to scrap my plans to write about my nooner from the day before.

As the meeting finished up and one woman who worked there introduced me to another as Tuna Girl I kept having flashes of some of the stuff I'd written here.

There was that pee story. And that sex story. And that time I wrote about this. And the time I wrote about that! And the topper! Oh God! There was that asterisk post!

I think my face was red the whole time I was there.

I was incredibly flattered. And the people were great. And I can't wait to really get into writing for them.

But I think I'll lay off the embarrassing stuff here for a while. Unless of course, something funny happens. For the sake of a laugh, I'll let my world's collide. As long as all you local people promise not to go reading about my period over at the Traveling Spotlight.

Deal?

No comments: