Monday, February 07, 2005

My Worlds Collide Again

I think I may have mentioned not too long ago, that I finally had a frank discussion with CB about my gay friends.

It was about a year ago while out to lunch with CB and AH that I first mentioned that my two all-time-best friends were lesbians. I think CB's reaction was along the lines of, "Well, of course. You played college softball. You were surrounded by lesbians."

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of my choice in friends, but it wasn't condemnation either, which I had sort of expected.

Now she refers to my closest blog friends as "the one with the brain tumor" and "the one with the cancer". Though it took her a while to realize that they aren't one-in-the-same person. That's not exactly a great way to define my friends, but I figure it's better than her referring to them as gay and gayer. (Or should that be the other way around?)

So it turns out that Patrick will be in town for her daughter's birthday. My husband thinks it is a great idea to torture Patrick with a three-year-old's birthday party. I think his exact words were, "Take Patrick! Let him see what it is really like to be a military wife and mother!"

I asked CB if it was okay if my friend from out-of-town came to the party. And she immediately told me, "Of course."

But for some reason, last night at her Super Bowl party, I felt the need to clarify exactly which one of my friends would be attending her little dear's party. I don't really want to analyze why I felt the need to do that. Let's just stick to the surface and say that it is because I wanted to avoid any awkwardness with my very religious friend.

Me: So are you sure you don't mind Patrick coming to the birthday party?

CB: Of course not. Now is this the one with the cancer?

Me: Yes, ***controlling my need to roll my eyes*** but you know he is gay, right?

CB: Yes. My goodness, of course it is okay. He's just a person. It's not like he's going to be having gay sex in my kitchen.

Well, I don't know. She's never met Patrick.

No comments: