Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Alternate Plans. Grey Goose Required.

My kids have the entire week off of school. I thought I'd make it until Wednesday before I'd start pining for school to start back up. I made it until 9 a.m. on Monday.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. Well, sort of. We're having fun, though I always spoil them and spend a lot of money when they're on vacation.

My husband has an idea though. He said, "Let's make a small turkey and have Thanksgiving dinner for just the four of us. Then after we put the kids to bed, let's get drunk."

I had to laugh at that, because we never drink together. Before last year (December 3 of last year to be exact) I never really drank at all. The only time I can ever remember drinking together was in New York last summer, while my parents had the kids.

My fear is that we'll be having an evening cocktail, and one of the kids will fall out of bed and crack his or her head open. And we wouldn't be able to drive them to the emergency room. We'd have to call 911 and get an ambulance. And then at the ER, the doctor would notice that we're both tipsy and call Social Services on us. And we'd lose our kids.

Yes, that is really how my mind works.

Maybe I'll just have one Cosmo. Enough to loosen up but not so much that I wouldn't sober up immediately in an emergency.

In the meantime, I'm going to sign off until after the holiday. The kids take a lot of energy to entertain.

I hope you all have a wonderful (and sober) Thanksgiving. Remember, family is what you make it. Speaking of which, for my family who reads this, I love you guys, and I'm thankful for you.

Be safe.

No comments: