Sunday, October 31, 2004

All Hallows' Eve

Another year, another Halloween said and done. Man, I hate this stupid holiday.

I had a third as many Trick-or-Treaters as I usually do. Which means the Tuna Man will be bringing a lot of candy to the office tomorrow. I think less people were out because Halloween fell on a Sunday.

And of course tomorrow is a Catholic holy day. Did you know that? It is All Saints' Day. A holiday conveniently scheduled to disrupt the pagan celebration of Halloween.

When I was a child in Catholic school, they made us dress up as saints at Halloween time. We had to do research. There were always a bunch of kids with animals on their shoulders dressed as St. Francis. And which saint did I choose to emulate? Oh, that would be Mary, Mother of God. I mostly chose Mary because I already had the costume. I must have been a natural virgin, because I played The Virgin in many a nativity.

Okay, who's laughing out there?

Speaking of girls in costume, I have to admit that I'm sort of proud of my daughter. Since her brother was going as a cow, she decided that she would be a farmer. Which is sweet and cute. But every other girl in her class, and seemingly every other girl in existence, was dressing as a princess, ballerina, or fairy.

I can't tell you how many girls asked her derisively, "Why do you want to be a farmer?' But she stuck to her guns and kept telling them that is just what she wanted. I even brought a spare ballerina costume, just in case. But she stuck with her farmer idea. And she was the most adorable farmer I've ever seen.

And what about next year? She wants to be the Statue of Liberty. How cute is that? I think I'll order a flight suit for my son and he can be the Little Tuna Man. We'll be a Patriotic family.

Like we're not patriotic enough already.

No comments: