Tuesday, October 19, 2004

My Head May Explode

Actually, it will just be taken apart piece by piece and welded back together.

I so need a hug right now.

Yesterday, I went to my pre-surgery consultation. (For you new folks, I'm having my jaw realigned.) You should know before reading any further that I am completely worn out and ditzy right now.

Dr: We need your wisdom teeth.
Me: Huh?
Dr: We're taking them out. Remember that?
Me: I have wisdom teeth?
Dr: Yes, we need them out for your surgery. I think we decided to do it all at once. Remember?
Me: Ummm...I think so.
Dr: Well, this is big stuff. They say that people can only retain about 20% of important information when you talk to them. There's a lot to remember. It's understandable.

Later on...

Dr: So it will cost you more to do your wisdom teeth at the hospital because they actually charge you in fifteen minute increments. Maybe we should take them out at the office first.
Me: Wait. Go back. You took my wisdom teeth out. Remember? They were really high.
Dr: You have wisdom teeth in your x-ray. Are you sure?
Me: I have the teeth at home!!!
Dr: Oh...well! Let's look again.
Me: You know...you have another patient with the same name as me.
Dr: Your husband's name is *his first name*?
Me: Yes.
Dr: Hmmm. Maybe we have two charts for you. Hold on.

He comes back in a few minutes.

Dr: Okay. Now we have the right person.
Me: But, see...this is why I think the insurance turned us down. They had the wrong files!
Dr: Oh, I'm sure we sent the right ones. But maybe you should check with the insurance company again.

Argh! Argh! Argh!

I'm so going to end up with this other girl's face!

Regardless, I scheduled my surgery. I'll let my husband go ballistic on the insurance company and the doctor's office tomorrow.

And the big date is November 12.

So all of you who I will be meeting on Dec 3-5 will see a completely new me. Hopefully the swelling and pain should have abated somewhat by then.

This also means that all that delicious NYC food will be eaten through a straw.

Damn, I'm so nervous about all of this. And the cost is stressing me out.

Did I mention that I'm sick?

Did I mention that I need a hug?

No comments: