Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Back in the Mom Zone

Today was all about motherhood for me.

For starters, I'm on potty watch. My son has decided that he isn't wearing diapers at all anymore. Which is great. But which also makes me feel like I can't be away from him for a second. We've had two accidents so far, but I prefer to think of them as learning opportunities.

Potty watch really cuts into my blogging time.

And today my husband and I went to my daughter's school for parent-teacher conferences.

I think I've mentioned before just how challenging I find it to raise my daughter. I have a very hard time understanding her motivations. But that doesn't mean that she isn't excessively sweet, happy, and bright.

It's very nice to have your parenting skills confirmed by a teacher.

I knew that she was doing well in school, but I had no idea just how well.

Yeah. Woo hoo. I rock. Well, she rocks actually, but I'm taking all the credit. Especially since as we were leaving her teacher said, "What a sweet, little family you are." Well, fuck yeah!

My husband and I grabbed a quick lunch after the conference. It was fun to be out with him in uniform in the middle of the day. It was also nice to realize that we're very much on the same page.

When my daughter was born, we made some very conscience decisions and plans about how we would raise our children. Everything we do, everything decision we make is value-based.

Our goal is to raise conscientious, empathetic children who other people enjoy being around. When you raise thinking, caring, respectful children all of the other stuff falls into place. Children who are secure in their parents' love and their parents' love for each other will do the best they can in school, regardless of their intelligence level.

Wow. I really got on a parent soapbox their. But my point is this. My man and I sat in a deli today and had a revelation.

It's working. All the stuff we've done is working.

Oh, thank god! Because there are times, like when she's standing in the middle of the soccer field crying her eyes out, that we have our doubts.

But you know what? We love those kids with all our might. And we love each other just a little bit more than that. And it works. And no amount of popcorn or Pez can ruin that.

No comments: