Monday, October 06, 2008

Who's Minding the Store?

My husband did the sweetest thing this weekend.


He surprised me on Saturday by taking me to a piano store. He was going to buy me a piano, probably used, maybe even a used digital, but still. A piano.


He did a bunch of research and found this place online. It was highly rated and they also donate pianos to the kids' music academy which provides music education to underprivileged children.


I expected to be accosted by a sale's person the second we walked in the door. But the bing bong didn't seem to attract anyone.


Then we realized that there was a man snoring at his desk in the back of the store.


We tried to surreptitiously wake him. We cleared throats and spoke to the kids. We bing bonged the door one more time. But he kept on snoring.


We checked out the inventory but the longer we were there the more afraid we became that when we finally woke him up, he'd have a heart attack.


Even in sleep he looked about one juicy steak away from a heart attack anyway.


I was started to get the creeps and decided that we must leave right away.


We did stop at the kitchen design shop right next door, though. We were worried that the guy would get accosted and robbed.


And so I didn't get my piano. But I did pick out some awesome Black Galaxy granite counter tops.


It never pays to sleep on the job.

No comments: