Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Installment #6 (Last one?)

[Editor's Note: Don't worry folks, Tuna Girl will be back soon from her orgy I MEAN vacation. In the meantime, here are a few more of her Q&A's.]

Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?
I force myself to be an extrovert, but I’m really an introvert at heart. I don’t think I’ve ever turned down an invitation to a party, but I always dread going. I’m the kind of person who can be very open and entertaining if you approach me first. But when I really think about it, I don’t suppose that anyone who is really introverted would want to blog.

One thing about being a military wife is that with all the moving, if you don’t make an effort to connect with people, you never will. I have gone all alone to Officer’s Wives Club events many times. I show up, put on a nametag, and start introducing myself to anyone who makes eye contact. I suppose I really have the world tricked into thinking I’m an extrovert.

What parts of yourself do you see in your children? Are these good things or bad things?
Wow. That’s quite the question. I don’t think that my daughter is very much like me at all. She is very timid and sensitive. She takes everything people say to the very core of her heart. She is as girly as can be. But I do think that she got my intelligence and love of words, music, and dance. She’s also pretty stubborn. I am about as stubborn as a person can get. I don’t necessarily think that is a bad thing though. At least it means that she is determined.

My son on the other hand is very much like me. He’s independent and stands up for himself. He’s affectionate and sweet. He’s also intelligent, but in a more cognitive way. He loves to read and he absolutely loves music. I’ve had a pretty easy life, so I hope that having a similar personality to mine will help him have an easy life too.

Picture your kids at age 25. What will they be like at that age, if you are to consider yourself a success as a parent?
Picturing my kids as adults is almost impossible. But to put it quite simply, as long as they are happy with themselves, than I am a success as a parent. (Well, my husband gets some credit too.)

I’ve said to my husband many times that I don’t care what they do with their lives as long as they are happy. We do expect them to graduate from college. And we hope that they will be physically fit and healthy. But other than that, the possibilities are endless.

But they do have their own unique personalities, and I can already see glimpses of what might make them happy. I think my daughter will make a wonderful mother. I hope that she will be able to stay home and raise her children as I am.

And I’m already getting the feeling from my son that the most important thing in his life will be his family. I hope he finds somebody worthy to love.

In fact, I think that finding the right person to share their lives with is my biggest concern for them as adults. It’s one of those things that parents just have no control over. You can only hope to raise them so that they know themselves and can recognize true love. The best way to do that is to model a loving marriage for them. And my husband and I are definitely doing that.

No comments: