Monday, April 11, 2005

Our Dallas Adventure

We drove back home through the base gates last night at just about 7 p.m. As the guard checked my ID, my daughter started to sob.

Only a half hour before she had announced that she was tired and cranky, so I should have seen it coming. But I was still a little surprised.

"I miss Dallas," she wailed. "I miss Mr. Mark. I want to live in Dallas." Sob. Sob. Sob.

She cried for an hour and a half.

She cried while going potty. She cried while brushing her teeth. She cried while I read her a book. She cried until she cried herself to sleep.

All because she missed Mr. Mark.

Now, that might make him feel bad, (Sorry, Sweetie!) but it shouldn't. It just shows how much he came to mean to her.

We had a great weekend. It was admittedly stressful for me, but we had so much fun with Mark and Brian that it was totally worth it. Those kids deserve all the fun they can get.

And those guys are just so sweet and so good with kids. Even if they were checking out Spiderman's package. Okay, I guess we need some explanation here.

After spending the day on Saturday in little boy heaven with Thomas the Tank Engine, we met up with Mark and Brian. They took us to this restaurant called The Magic Time Machine.

This place defies description. It's full of theamed booths and the servers all dress up as fairy tale or movie characters. It was over-running with tweens.

Of all the different themes and servers we ended up in the Love Shack being served by Joe Dirt. (I said "served" not "serviced".)

I was frankly in awe that two grown, childless men would willingly submit themselves to dining at this place. But the guys were cracking me up with their comments. And the kids loved it so it was worth it. I was smart enough to take a Tylenol before we got there.

I think my favorite moment of the night was when on the car ride home, My daughter suddenly announced to Mark and Brian, "That's enough arguing!" Too funny.

Mark continued his weekend of self-sacrifice for the sake of the guppies by taking us to the Ft. Worth Zoo. It was nice, and despite being exhausted from the night before, the kids really enjoyed themselves.

Mark went above and beyond the call of duty when he entered the bird aviary with at least five sticks of birdseed. There was no way in the world that I was going to hold one of those sticks, but the kids really got into it. And I got to hear Mark make a few girly squeals. I was proud of him though. He really held it together for the sake of the kids.




All in all it was a fun weekend and a nice break. Mark is just the best. And it made me happy to see the kids so happy. (Thank you a thousand times over, guys!)

Sometime soon we'll host Mark and Brian here. But the only thing the local culture has to offer is alcohol and gambling. Somehow I think they'll make due.

No comments: