Monday, April 25, 2005

You Think You know a Guy

Tuna Man checks in with us again from his deployment overseas. He'll be home on May 12, but in the meantime, he's helping to give me a break by writing a little something for the blog.

Only my husband could combine the divergent topics of Hooters and the cost of freedom into one post.

I have to say before you read any further that I didn't know my husband felt this way about trashy chain restaurants or war. It's amazing what you can learn about the man you love when you are apart for so many months.

As many of you know I have not been home for a few days, and over the past week I have been working on my paper for my masters class. Well yesterday I ran head first into a wall, a writing brick wall. I told TG that I would blog a few times for her so she could help me with my paper and just have a break from the world of blogging.

I am going to write about cravings because they hit me like a ton of bricks. I have to say I have been eating well. I had Dunkin Doughnuts yesterday. Very tasty. So, what I am craving is HOOTERS. No, not TG's HOOTERS, but the restaurant. I am craving HOOTERS wings and a big tall BEER or Multiple BEERs.

Now you might be thinking that is a very strange craving. Maybe but I am eating VERY well for the positions that I am in. Once a week I get to have lobster and a T-bone steak, with some fried shrimp on the side. That is probably the highlight to my eating week but all the other food is really good. We also have roasted turkey, Cornish hens, ribs, fried catfish and chicken, just to name a few.

But I want HOOTERS wings, so I started thinking why? Why do I want HOOTERS wings (other than saying HOOTERS is really really fun). First, I can not get them were I am. You name it I can probably find it. There is no Outback here but there are some good steak places. But there is nothing to replace HOOTERS, sitting at a table eating wings and onions rings.

What I guess I really miss is the sitting with all my friends and talking, watching a game and not having to really care about anything that is going on in the world. It does not hurt that all the women at HOOTERS wear tight shirts and shorts to work. You need to do something during the commercials!

Now I want to tell you about something I received a few months ago. It is about a brave man we will call 1stSgt K. This is the email I received from a friend; it has only been edited to leave names out.

"Marine 1st Sergeant K (in the middle). This photo is from the most recent major offensive in Fallujah. 1stSgt K sacrificed his own safety to save a room full of fellow Marines. He ended up taking several AK rounds in the leg. Most of his lower leg was blown away but you can't tell it from this pic. He took rounds in the back which his armor saved him from. He took one round through his butt which passed through both cheeks leaving 4 holes in him. And he also took the brunt of a grenade blast. He jumped on top of a younger Marine to cover him from the fire. He killed the enemy who did most of the damage to him and his men, and despite a massive loss of blood he never stopped fighting. Notice that he's still holding his pistol. He has been put in for the Medal of Honor for his actions on that day. He already has several Purple Hearts for previous battles throughout his career and he has turned some down so that he could stay with his unit. "

I did not include the picture because the narrative does just fine on its own. This is what you are not hearing about in the news. He is the man that is protecting your FREEDOMS and your family, not only the men and women that serve with him but all of you in "Small town U.S.A." or "Large City U.S.A." He brings the fight to the enemy so they will not bring it BACK to where we live. We are all safer because of 1stSgt K and everyone like him.

TM

Hmmm. Taking the fight to the enemy. I kind of like that.

And Hooters? Hooters? I didn't even know he had ever been to Hooters! What else does that boy get into when he's away?

No comments: