Monday, June 06, 2005

Like a Wild Animal in its Natural Habitat

Hey guys!

Yes, I made it to the Cape okay.

The kids and I drove for two entire days and we arrived at my parent's house at about 1 a.m. Sunday morning.

Of course my parents had to visit with me until about 3 a.m. and then they sent me off to sleep on an air mattress.

That air mattress sucks.

I slept until noon on Sunday. Then I left my kids with my parents and drove a couple of hours to our house on the Cape.

As I drove through my hometown, away from my kids and any responsibility what-so-ever, I felt like an entirely different person.

I put my Avenue Q album on my iPod and sang my little heart out all the way to the Cape Cod Canal.

The plan is for me to kick some contractor ass and finally get the house ready for the kids to inhabit. Poor Patrick has been staying here without heat or hot water for two weeks.

I pulled into the driveway, and well, the house looks really nice from the outside. I would have loved to go in, but alas, I have no key. I guess I assumed that Patrick would leave his key for me, but he didn't. I know how he is. He just wanted me to come visit him at work.

So I jumped in the car, again, and drove to P-town to meet up with Patrick at the bar where he works and get a key.

He works in a nice place. I was starving and ordered a lobster roll (Ahhh! Back in New England again!) and I sat at the bar eating and watching Patrick work.

It was like watching a wild animal in its native habitat.

It was fascinating.

In the half hour or so that I was there, he was french kissed by an elderly gent, collected phone numbers from at least two interested guys, and poured more drinks than I could count.

By the time I got back to my house, I was exhausted.

I have to admit that when I opened the door and entered the house, I was so, well, stressed.

This is a nice house, but it doesn't feel like it is mine. It is filled with all of my grandmother-in-law's belongings. She was a wonderful woman, but I don't like living with her stuff.

It is musty and dusty and buggy and cobwebby and (shhh, don't tell Patrick) spidery. And as of yet, there is no hot water or heat.

I have a lot of work to do to make this house our home and it is a little overwhelming.

But it is going to be fun too. Patrick is going to help me shop and paint (two things he excels at, I hear) and we'll most likely start with the living room.

I was pissed off today because the gas company didn't show up to finish this job. So I went shopping. A few hundred dollars later, I have a newly decorated bathroom. (My husband and I always say that I shouldn't be let out of the house alone with money.)

It was nice to be able to complete a least one small room over the course of one day.

This summer should be interesting. I'm mostly looking forward to getting this house livable so that we can really enjoy it next year, spending quality time with my good friend, spending relaxing time with my husband, and getting away to NYC in July.

I'm having an adventure. And I feel like a kid again.

No comments: