Wednesday, April 26, 2006

One Moment

I love my daughter's violin program. I really do.

They have some super wonderful teachers and the program is very well-designed. (Ugh! I sounded like such a twin set-wearing, Nanny Diaries mother right then!)

But their administrative and organizational skills leave a lot to be desired. And it drives me up a tree!

Yesterday, I got a letter it the mail from them. It was tucked in with next year's application, recital schedules, rehearsal sign-ups, and etiquette instructions. This very important letter told me that my daughter would be playing today in a fine arts festival at her school. But her name was so badly misspelled that I didn't even realize that she was included when I scanned it.

If another mother hadn't asked me about it, I never would have realized.

So, I woke my daughter up a half hour early this morning and had her practice the piece she was to play. She's been struggling with it lately, and frankly, I was a little nervous.

This afternoon, the Tuna family scrunched ourselves into bleachers full of rugrats to hear our prodigy play in front of all of her friends, classmates, teachers, and the entire student body. With one morning's preparation.

She was nervous. But she smiled and waved to her friends like she was the happiest kid in the world

When her introduction played, I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest.

She nailed it.

She played perfectly.

I was so proud.

When I picked her up after school, she didn't seem to think it was a big deal at all. One thing I love about her school, violin, and ballet programs is that she has learned to be very comfortable performing in front of a crowd. That has got to be good for her self confidence and future success.

And if worse comes to worse, she can always play her violin on the street corner to earn her keep.

It doesn't make for interesting blogging, but it's a mom moment. Actually, I take that back. It was her moment. All hers. But she may not remember it in a few months. And I want to capture it for her for all time.

Next year, the boy starts violin. It's going to be interesting, to say the least.

No comments: