Tuesday, August 22, 2006

By Any Other Name

If my daughter was a boy, she would have been named Michael. Or maybe Christopher.

My son is not named Michael or Christopher. If he had been a girl, he would have ended up with a name that ended with ah. Samantha, Rebecca, Amanda, Jessica, Glenda.

Okay, not Glenda.

Actually, my son's first name is my maiden name minus one letter.

We chose our kids' names based partly on the nicknames we'd use for them. Both of them insist on being called by their full names.

My husband doesn't go by his first name. I call him by his middle name. But very few people here know him by anything other than his call sign.

I hate my name. As a child, I desperately wanted to change it to Debbie. I have no idea why.

If I was a boy, I would have been named Robert Allen.

I think I like Debbie better.

Do you know what your name would have been, if you weren't born you?

No comments: