Thursday, August 31, 2006

Read it and Weep

I'm not morally opposed to memes. But I don't do a lot of them for one very good reason.

They make me look unhip. Or stupid. Or they reveal just how deeply mired I am in bad taste.

But if you come right out and tag me, I'll probably throw my hat in the ring and hope no one will actually injure themselves while laughing at my pathetic answers.

Army Wife Toddler Mom has tagged me with the book meme.

Before I start can I please just say that I was once an English major. I scored a 5 on my Advanced Placement English exam. I actually have a pretty high IQ. And I'm sort of cute. In a dumb chick kind of way.

Here we go:

1) A book that changed my life: Babywise, A Common Sense Guide to Parenting

People hate this book. And yes, there are a lot of things in it that I disagree with. But I disagree with so much in most modern accepted parenting guides too. When I was pregnant, we had very good friends who taught parenting classes based on this book at their church. If nothing else, they showed me that there are more ways to parent then there are different kinds of people. And you have to find what is right for you.

It also introduced us to teaching our baby sign language. We followed up with Sign With Your Baby: How to Communicate With Infants Before They Can Speak. The first signs we taught our four-month-olds were "please" and "thank you" and I think that had a tremendous influence on their personalities and our bond.

2) A book I've read more than once: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

When I find a book I love, I'll read it over and over. Especially if I find that book to be an escape. I fell in love with Gabaldon's characters and writing style. The rest of the series is engaging too, but none so much as that first book.

Oh, I should also not here that I read The Outsiders at least fifteen times when I was in fifth grade. I think that explains a lot about me right there. I recently looked back at that book, and God, it's awful!

3) A book I'd take to a desert island: A blank journal

I think Jeff may have answered this way too. That was my first thought when I read this question. I could create my own stories to keep me sane. Oh! And have you read or seen The Notebook?

4) A book that made me laugh: Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

This was my first experience with Sedaris. And I was hooked.

5) A book that made me cry: Babycakes by Armistead Maupin

When I finished reading More Tales of the City I said to Patrick, "Jon dies. Doesn't he?" His silence told me all, yet I still sobbed when I started reading about Michael's loss.

6) A book I wish I had written: Out of Control by Suzanne Brockmann

This is my all-time favorite romance novel. I love Brockmann's Navy Seal series. When I was 18-years-old and fantasizing about being a writer someday, this is the type of book I dreamed of writing.

7) A book that should never have been written: The Air Force Wife Handbook: A Complete Social Guide

I actually own a signed copy of this book. Gag.

8) A book I'm currently reading: Hello Darling, Are You Working? by Rupert Everett

I can only afford to read library books right now, and my local library doesn't carry Sure of You (of course). I picked this up on a whim. After two weeks, I'm only on page eleven. I think that might be enough. Sorry, Rupert. I still think you're cute.

9) A book I'm planning to read: When the Stars Come Out

Of course!

10) Five people to whom I'll send these questions:

Patrick, because he is the biggest book freak I know. And because there is a price to pay for being my best friend.

Famous Author Rob Byrnes, because he just got a free plug that will reach a lot of military wives. And because he doesn't seem to have anything better to blog about.

(Okay, you guys can stop bitching about me through your office doors now.)

Heather, because she is a new blogger who says some extremely flattering things about me. And because she found my blog by Googling Edward Penis Hands.

Lotta, because she actually titled a post God wants you to have an orgasm.

And oh, let's see. How about David? Because he is one of my new favorite people. And I'd love to find out what he reads.

Well, that was hard.

No comments: