Monday, September 20, 2004

Soccer Mom

Hello. My name is Tuna Girl. And I'm a soccer mom.

I'll admit it. I'm a soccer mom. And I have the mini van to prove it.

This weekend was my daughter's first soccer game of the year. It was also my husband's first time on the soccer field as a coach. I was nervous for him. He was pretty nervous too. But he did really well. Of course, he couldn't do much worse than the other team's coach who came out on the field talking on her cell phone.

The only iffy moment was when he sent my daughter off the field because she was crying. It was really hot, and she doesn't do well in the heat. I'm not looking forward to an entire season of father/daughter struggles. As a friend who coaches his own kid says, "You're always hardest on your own kid."

It would have been okay of he had subbed for her. But he just kept playing with two kids on the field. Even after a goal, he just kept right on going without subbing anyone in. The parents started to freak a little. So I yelled at him once, and he ignored me. Than I used my own coaching voice and he finally stopped and put a kid in.

I felt really bad that I yelled at my husband in public. But I also wanted to avert a crisis with the parents. I apologized later and he made it seem like it wasn't a big deal, so that was good.

I was a little disappointed in the parents, though. This is the last age at which they don't keep score. But the parents were encouraging the kids to count the goals and try to win. Some of the kids are ready for that, but some aren't. But regardless, the rules for the under 6 league say no scorekeeping, and I think we should follow the rules.

But, ummm, we won. By a lot. We have one little boy on our team with amazing talent. At one point his father said, "That's enough, son. Give someone else a turn."

I can't believe I just wrote this long of a post about a kid's soccer game. But I actually do have a point. And my point is this:

I'm a dumbass.

I didn't put any sunblock on, because, you know, it's September. I sat under a golf umbrella with the kids to try and keep them cool in the 98 degree heat. Except that I let one arm hang out in the sun. And now I have a stupid ass one-armed farmer's sunburn that will look just lovely on my cruise.

No comments: