Monday, September 13, 2004

You can take the girl out of the blog...

But you can't take the blog out of the girl.

I decided not to blog this weekend because...well...just because I couldn't. But then it seemed like a million stupid, little, blogworthy things happened to me.

It all started on Friday afternoon, when my husband took us to his squadron for First Friday. Most squadrons hold First Friday socials once a month. It's usually just a time to grab something to eat, plop all the kids in front of a video, and chit chat with your fellow squadron-mate's families. But they ended up having a presentation in the theater, and just as we were walking in, the speaker started swearing. (Nice.)

So my husband turned us around to leave. Apparently, this wasn't on my son's agenda. He threw a fit. An embarrassing, run-away-from-Daddy fit.

We got to endure a screaming ride home, and an evening of punishing our two-year-old. Big fun!

Two tantrums later, we finally got him to bed, and my husband took the Chevelle out to Home Depot to pick up some stuff. I used the time to chat on my cell phone.

About an hour later, our home phone rang. It was my husband. His car wouldn't start. I had to wake up the kids and go and rescue him.

It took me a half hour to wake up the kids. My daughter kept turning around and crawling back into bed. So, I finally pulled the mini-van up next to his car and rolled down the window, just as he got in his car and started it up. Grrrrr.

Late that night, after midnight in fact, I went over to CB's house to sit with her kids so she could go pick up her husband. He's home from his deployment, along with most of our neighbors and friends. I'm so happy for all of them. (And it was a fitting start to September 11, 2004.)

I fell asleep on her couch and she couldn't wake me up. She finally had to shake me awake and push me out her door. I got back to my bed at about 3 in the morning. Needles to say, I slept in the next day.

Saturday afternoon, I let my husband have a nap and took the kids out. Our first stop was the library. While we were checking out, my daughter was dancing around like she had ants in her pants. Suddenly she gasped, "Look Mommy! My underwear fell off."

Sure enough, a pair of My Little Pony underpants were falling out the legs of her pants. I guess they were stuck inside the leg when she put them on.

Being the wonderfully indulgent mother that I am, (gag) I took them to the food court at the BX. Dinner went fine and then I let them play in the indoor play area.

I sat sipping a diet coke and watched parent after parent have to drag their kids out of the play area when it was time to leave. I gloated. Incompetent parents. My kids would never act like that.

Payback is a bitch.

I gave the kids the normal two-minute warning that it was time to leave, and got two good, "Yes, Mommy"s in return.

Then I called out, "Time's up!" and got a "Nope" in return from my son.

What the...we don't play it like that in this family. But he told me in no uncertain terms that he was not leaving. At this point he was in the tunnels at the top of the play structure.

First, I cajoled, and then I threatened. Then I sent my daughter after him. He wailed her and screamed. I called my husband on the cell so he could enjoy the experience vicariously. Finally, I gave my daughter the cell and my purse and climbed my big ass up the tower and through the tunnels.

When I reached him he gave me a big smile and a hug. "Hi, Mommy!"

As I tried to remove him, he flipped out. He fought and screamed. I had to push him inch by inch out of the tunnels, and then sit him on my lap and scoot him down the tower stairs.

Did I mention that the whole play area is surrounded by glass and looks out over the food court.? I'm surprised nobody called the SPs on me.

The good news is that after his punishment (which basically consisted of exile to his room and absolutely nothing fun or enjoyable for two days) he has been an angel. He damn well better be.

If anyone notices a formerly bratty child acting like a little angel, please let me know. Obviously my son is possessed. I'd like his personality back please.

And to top it all off, I saw a college cheerleader get seriously injured at my gym on Sunday. She fell off the top of a three-tiered pyramid, flat onto her back. The ambulances were taking her away just as I was leaving. There's a sport my daughter will never join.

Whew! It was good to get that all out!

Welcome to my life. Anyone want to trade?

No comments: