Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lost Hours

Last night I put the kids to bed at 7 p.m. as I always do.

I wasn't feeling so great so I laid down on my bed for a moment to listen and make sure the kids were down for the night.

The next thing I knew, morning reveille was playing over the base loudspeaker. It was 7 a.m.!

I had slept for twelve hours. I had overslept at least a half hour. And the kids were still sleeping!

That's not the first time that recorded trumpet has kept the kids from being late for school. But I was absolutely flabbergasted this morning. How could I sleep so soundly for so long? Especially considering everything I had to do last night.

For one thing, I never got undressed. I never brushed my teeth, fed the dog, turned out the lights, or even set my alarm. I had been trying to write a post all day yesterday and this morning I found it sitting on my computer screen.

Dear lord. Maybe it was divine providence that put me to sleep last night and kept that post from ever seeing the light of day. I'm going to chock it up to being obviously exhausted and perhaps PMSed that I even wrote such a thing in the first place.

All I know is that today I feel so much better. Maybe twelve hours of uninterrupted sleep is what I really needed to get over the weariness that has been clinging to me like static.

I feel optimistic today for the first time in months.

No comments: