Sunday, August 28, 2005

Pretty Good Ten Years

This weekend my husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary.

I had planned on getting him a pretty romantic gift but I dropped the ball and I'll have to save that gift idea for another special occasion.

So instead, I bought him a 60 GB iPod Photo.

Pretty nifty, huh?

Except, I don't think he's too thrilled with it. He says he's just not used to it yet. He keeps asking me questions like, "So you sinc up all of your music every time?"

I told him we'd convert him soon enough. It's like the Borg. There's no resistance. He'll be a part of the iPod generation whether he likes it or not.

It turns out that he has over 6 GBs of music on his laptop. I have less than 4 GBs. So where is all of that music coming from?

As he was poking around through his files he said, "I have a lot of Metallica on here."

What? What the hell did he just say? Who is this man and what has he done with my husband? How could I have married someone who listens to Metallica?

"That's crazy!" I said. "We've been married for ten years and I'm just learning what kind of music you like. Do you know what kind of music I like?"

"Sure," he replied. "You like Billy Joel, Tori Amos, Melissa Ethridge..."

Ack! I haven't listened to any of them in a dozen years. I just shook my head though. It's kind of cute that he still thinks of me as some geeky, pseudo-lesbian college student.

And now I'm listening to Tori Amos' Under the Pink and reliving my college days. There's nothing like a little Cornflake Girl and Pretty Good Year to make you feel young again. (Though my favorite will always be The Waitress. You've got to love a song that starts out, "I want to kill this waitress.")

But I think I may be experiencing iPod envy. His is so spiffy and new and it holds photos. He put it in a little iSkin iPod condom right away and his probably won't get all scratched.

It's okay though. He gave me a sapphire and diamond bracelet. It is really very pretty. It doesn't play MP3s, but I'll have it forever.

Just like him.

No comments: