Thursday, July 29, 2004

I'm Having a Bad Day

It all started just after midnight last night.  My daughter was sitting on the toilet and crying.  She wet the bed.  Like the good mother that I am, I sent her to sleep on the top bunk, and figured I'd take care of the mess on the bottom bunk in the morning.  Yup.  I haven't gotten to that yet.

Then I overslept this morning.  I've realized that I oversleep every Thursday morning.  Isn't that weird?

Then I dropped the girl off at soccer camp (on time), and the boy and I went to my orthodontist appointment.  That was fine except that it got me anxious to get this surgery over with.  So I went home and called the surgeon's office, just to make sure that they had faxed the insurance company the form that they needed.

This led to a ten minute argument with a woman named Maisy.  What the hell kind of grown woman goes by a name like Maisy?  She informed me that she could not send in the pre-approval form because she knows they won't cover me and therefore, she won't get pre-approval.  Um, sweetheart.  That's the point of the form.  PRE-APPROVAL.

She explained to me for the fifth time, "You understand that this will be quite expensive...?"  There is nothing that makes me more angry then when people are condescending.  I tried to explain, even if the insurance company won't pay, I could pay you in cash, right now!

Then she informed me that my insurance company kept her on hold for 20 minutes, therefore it was my responsibility to get them to call her personally.  It's not my fault that the insurance company didn't pick up the phone.

So I hung up with a polite, "Thank you for your time."  And I added a "BITCH!" to that after I disconnected.  You have to make me really, really angry to use the B word.  I really don't like saying that bad word.

I was pissed enough to call my husband at work.  After hearing me out for a couple of minutes, he told me he was coming home.  He's spent the rest of the day dealing with this problem for me.  My hero.  He is at the surgeon's office right now.  He went earlier, but Maisy was out to lunch.

"I feel bad, though," he told me.  "I walked in (in uniform) and the poor girl who was covering the desk almost had a heart attack.  Her eyes got bigger and bigger and she stammered at me."  He can look pretty intimidating when he needs to.

What pissed me off the most about all of this, is that the surgeon and I have already talked it all out and had a plan.  A plan that he didn't convey to his office help.  Maisy told the insurance lady that Dr. Smith does not want to do this procedure.  That's bull, because Dr. Smith told me he was really looking forward to this procedure.  It's not every day a surgeon gets to fix a deformity as bad as mine. 

Wow, that feels better.  But wait.  There's more.

So, I pick my daughter up from camp and she had a good day.  Our mantra has been, "No crybabies.  I'm tough.  Grrrrr!" and that seemed to work.

So, in my pissy state, I took the kids to McDonald's for Happy Meals.  I specifically went to McDonald's because I like their salads.  But the woman asked me what I wanted and I just blurted out, "A number 3 with a Diet Coke."  Those Quarter Pounders are going to be the death of me.  I was so pissed at myself.  But I ate it.  And enjoyed it.  Then I ate the kids' fries for good measure.  Cause, you know, my gaining twenty pounds will really fix my problem with Maisy.

Oh, did you know that it is the 25th birthday of the Happy Meal.  Yup.  McDonald's, using cheap toys to trick your kids into getting fat for 25 years.  I remember when the Happy Meal first came out.  It was so exciting.

Add to all that the fact that I really need a hair cut.  My son really needs a hair cut.  My daughter really needs a hair cut.  And I have a zit.

But I have to say, besides all that, I'm actually kind of happy today.  My little girl had a good day at camp.  My husband is being my crusader.  My son was absolutely adorable at the orthodontist office.  It's all good.

Aren't you glad you can be a part of my little life?

*****Update*****

It's amazing what a little man-in-uniform/testosterone will bring to a situation.  When confronted with my husband face-to-face, Maisy quickly changed her tune.  Everything should be set from her end by Monday.  We'll see.  I don't want to have to send The Enforcer down there again.

My husband's take on the situation:  "Two-faced bitch."


No comments: