Friday, July 23, 2004

You'll hate me after this post.

As I've mentioned, my best friend CB's husband is deployed through September.  Let's call him RB.  Well, RB is my husband's best friend, and they occasionally talk on the phone at work.

Yesterday, my husband came home at lunch time and said, "I have a proposal."

RB told my husband that when he gets home, he's sending his wife on a five day cruise.  He's doing it as a way to say thank you and to get her a much needed break from the kids.  Her two other best friends are going with her.

"Rob wanted to know if you'd like to be the fourth," said my husband.

My first thought was, "Hell yeah!  Woo Hoo!" immediately followed by, "Who will take care of my kids?"

My husband asked for the time off of work, but his commander is away and he won't know for a while.  I have to make a decision soon, like this weekend.

My other problem with this trip is that CB's other best friend is not my favorite person.  At all.  In fact, she's not CB's favorite person anymore either, and CB has told me that she's trying to distance herself from her.  But I'm guessing her husband doesn't realize that.  Or it's too late to change plans.

This woman is in charge of the planning, and I have to call her if I want to go.  We also have to drive to New Orleans.  That's an eight or nine hour car trip with someone I really don't like.

And as sweet as CB's husband is trying to be, I know that she won't really want to go.  She has a hard time leaving her kids with her husband for an evening. 

So, what would you do?  Would you commit to going?  I don't have a problem leaving my kids with their own father, but if he can't get off work my son will end up in a day-care-like situation.

I can pretty much get along with anyone if I put my mind to it.  But it takes a lot of energy to be polite to someone you don't like.  I also only get the opportunity to travel alone once every few years.  And, frankly, I'd like to meet some of you at some point. 

Should I make it my mission to go on this cruise with my best friend and force her to enjoy herself? 

Okay.  Okay.  I know.  This is the biggest problem in my life?  Trying to decide whether or not I want to go on a fabulous vacation with my best friend.  My life is good.  Have I mentioned that before?

Come on guys.  Tell me what I want to hear. 

No comments: