Thursday, July 22, 2004

I'm a Queen

Last night's Torture by Southern Stage Mothers was augmented by the addition of a father.  A hot dad.  Like the hottest dad I've ever seen.

Seriously, this man was absolute male perfection.  Tallish.  Leanly muscled.  Honey brown hair, just a little spiky and tousled on top, short in the back.  Tanned.  Beautiful face.  *sigh*  Hot clothes.  I have a weird thing for ringer tees.  Oh, and he was wearing cool leather thong sandals.  I'm not usually one to appreciate feet, but whew.  Hot.  He was also wearing a nice platinum watch and a platinum wedding ring.  (I need to get a camera phone!)

He looked about as miserable as I felt.  When his cell phone rang, he dashed out the door, never to return.

I know that it is weird and wrong, but I have a real thing for wedding rings on men.  They're so sexy.  So you'd think I'd enjoy seeing my own husband's wedding ring on his hot hands.  Um no.  He carries his wedding ring on his KEY CHAIN!  Argh!  That bothers me to no end.

So, anyway...back to the point at hand.  Did my discreet man watching distract me from the annoying mothers?  No!  They were worse than ever.  I came home, rushed through the door and into my husband's arms.  "Hold me, please!" I cried. 

Last night's featured dances were jazz and twirling.  And yes.  I was a baton twirler for many, many years.  I practiced at least two hours everyday.  I had to fit twirling practice around softball, basketball, and football...but I was committed.  I never won a National, but I was competitive at that level.  (Hey, Brent.  I bet I went to the same competition at Notre Dame as your daughter.)

Tonight's dance camp features modeling.  And yes.  *sigh*  I did that too.  I'm so embarrassed.

I was actually very good at modeling.  I was graceful and all that and I rocked at the interview.  But I didn't go crazy with the make-up and hair and nails, and expensive dresses...and all that.  So I never went past the state level.  But I won a state championship once.  Yup.  You can now tell everyone that you know a Mass. State Queen.

Can you believe they called it that?  How funny.

I had softball practice after that competition, so I had already changed into my softball clothes by the time they announced the winners.  So I had to go up and get my trophy, crown and sash wearing softball warm-ups.  They pinned my sash right to my jacket.

My father thinks I wasted years and years of my life with that girly stuff.  He's sort of right because it never got me to the Olympics or anything like that.  But I enjoyed it.  It gave me a nice body, an appreciation for sportsmanship, and a certain amount of grace.

Last night, when I saw my daughter with that baton in her hands, I wanted to cry.  Part of me dreamed of having a daughter who loved twirling as much as I did.  Part of me dreams of having a daughter who loves softball as much as I do.

But she's a traitor and chose ballet and soccer.  Two things I know barely anything about.  But she's already so passionate about them.  I love that.

One more night and I'm free until I have to do this once a week during  the school year.  My offer to trade lives is still open, people. 



No comments: