Wednesday, July 07, 2004

With Friends Like These

Sometimes when I sit down for my daily dose of blogging, I have no idea what to write. Those are the days that I tell a goofy story from the past or make some comment about something that strikes me as funny.

Today, though. Today I know exactly what I want to write. I only hope I can find the words to express what I'm really trying to say.

Remember how I said that I'd be feeling better by today? I was so wrong. I don't really feel like going through all the details (that is so NOT me) but I can summarize.

First, I broke my alarm and overslept.
Second, I drove my best friend CB to the airport. Her husband is deployed so she is spending a month with her parents.
Third, I went to my surgery consultation and found out that my insurance probably won't cover my jaw surgery. We're talking at least $10,000.
Fourth, my car wouldn't start after my appointment.
And lastly, a vet tech who we became friendly with called to tell us that the vet grossly exaggerated my dog's problems. She was hoping that she had called in time to ask us to let her keep the dog herself. Too late.

How much does that suck?

But that's not what I want to talk about today. Today, I want to talk about friends.

I'm not someone who always felt like I had a lot of friends. I tend to make just a few close friends and stick with them until our friendships have run their courses.

But what I've realized is that I actually have (and had in the past) lots and lots of friends. I was just defining the term too narrowly. I sort of expect friends to be like sisters. But that isn't very realistic. Friends are people who know you, or are taking the time to get to know you, and like what they know. Friends are people who are willing to take the time to think about your feelings. I have tons of friends. And through your comments and E-mails, you guys helped remind me of that.

I said to my husband tonight, "I got some really great E-mails and comments from my blog today. It really felt nice."

He was glad for me. He also pointed out that having my closest friend leave for a month was probably a major force behind just how bad I was feeling. I hadn't even given that a lot of thought, but he's right.

Today, I just really want to say thank you. Thanks for reading along with me here. And thank you for knowing just when I really needed some support. This isn't the first time I've said it, and it won't be the last, but you guys are the best.

No comments: