Thursday, July 15, 2004

The Morbid Post

Every time my husband goes to a new squadron or gets a new commander (about once a year) I have to fill out the required spouse's form. This is a form that basically says what I want to have done in the case of my husband's death and or POW/MIA status.

This is not fun.

The first time I had to do one was when he first started training to fly. It got me thinking about his death and imagining the circumstances surrounding his death for weeks and weeks.

They had us all update our forms after 9/11. A lot of the guys were pissed off about that. They didn't want to upset their wives. But the commanders believe in preparing your family in every way possible--rightly so, I believe. That wasn't a fun time either.

I've filled out so many of these forms now that I've gotten a little blase about them. I know all the answers by heart now. Burial--check. Cremation--no check. National cemetery--check.

I actually find it kind of comforting that in an emergency, some official will be contacting my best friend to take care of my children and my husband's best friend to take care of me. Some commander will be calling his parents and mine. Some official will be calling my financial advisor. It's all good.

My husband, however, hates when I have to fill out THE FORM. He won't give me much input and keeps telling me, "Whatever you want, Hon."

It occurred to me that nobody is asking what my husband would like to have happen should I die.

And we really need to update our will.

You know, I was going to talk about sex today. I was beebopping along through my day, with only food, sex, and the offspring on my mind. Then I had to copy THE FORM and I just felt the need to share with someone that this is what I do. Once a year for the past eight years, I've been planning for the worst.

This is not fun.

No comments: