Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Hello? Anyone home?

This morning I was awakened by strangers in my house.

Okay, so they weren't really strangers so much as the cleaning crew who comes in once a week. But they scared the crap out of me.

I had set my alarm for 7:30 a.m. I needed to get up and pick up the house before they arrived. I could have done it the night before, but I didn't feel like it. So, I stayed up all night, knowing that I should be cleaning (as opposed to reading blogs as this man can attest) but too nervous about oversleeping to go to sleep.

At about 9:15 I heard a woman's voice calling my name. Loudly. I had that adrenaline pumping reaction that you get when you're rudely awakened.

I jumped out of bed and ran to the stop of the stairs. Clearly, I was disoriented, because I don't remember what I said, but the very nice older woman asked me if I was okay. She also suggested that they just skip this week.

Oh, thank god. I would have been really embarrassed for them to see the messy state of my household. But I'm still embarrassed that it happened at all. Should I send them a check, even though they didn't clean?

So, I had plenty to talk about today, but oversleeping kind of overshadowed everything. I thought about skipping my son's music class, but I never do that. I could be as ill as ill can be and I'd still drag myself to the kids' stuff.

When I was parking the car, the woman in the van next to me was sitting in her backseat, breastfeeding a baby. Which is fine, of course. But her older kid was playing with the shifter and steering wheel! My father the cop has told me so many stories of kids being injured this way. Kids have managed to roll their cars into shopfronts and lakes.

Then, in the waiting room for music class a woman was talking on the phone while her son was, well, being spastic. And to whom was she talking? A therapist or something for a developmental screening and private therapy sessions. Hello! While your kid is wailing on mine, you're talking on the phone? At least she realizes he needs help, I guess.

I may have mentioned before that my daughter was bullied at school. It took months to handle the problem, but she's still more likely to run away from a situation and cry than stand up for herself. But if someone's picking on her brother...watch out! She put her body between the kid and her brother, yelled at the kid, and gave him a firm shove back.

I just looked on. You go girl. Push that mean boy. Now, if we could just get her to protect herself that way.

I don't know. Today may be a two-post day. I have lots of lofty thoughts floating round. And I have a funny story to tell about my daughter, but I'm not sure if it's one of those stories that you have to be a parent to appreciate. We'll see.

Oh! So, let's count the days since I last got some nooky. Honey, if you're reading this, I love you! I love having sex with you! I'm just having fun counting the days on the 'ole blog. *wink wink*

It's been 4 days! I may not survive until he gets home from work!

No comments: