Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Report Card Day

Today is that day! Report card day.

I used to so look forward to report card day as a kid. For me it meant a guaranteed five bucks from my father's mother.

I had completely forgotten about that until I was reading my son's report card this afternoon.

Somewhere around sophomore year, I graduated from getting five bucks for a good report card to getting gifts. Basketball sneakers. A new softball glove. Trips to sports camps.

My grandmother loved that I was an athlete. She was one herself.

In college she paid for my trips to Spring Training. As long as I kept my grades up, that was my reward.

She died just after I returned from Spring Training my sophomore year. My father used her inheritance to pay for my trips the next two years. He thought she would have wanted that.

But do you know what's sad? I don't think she ever gave my brother a thing. Certainly not more than the standard five bucks.

That's what I was thinking about today as I was reading my son's report card.

We've never rewarded the kids for good report cards. For one thing, they don't really have grades yet. And for another, well, I guess we have high expectations. They should be excelling on their report cards. Anything less is just not acceptable.

God! We're fucking these kids up so bad.

But not too bad so far, if my son's report card is any indication. He got S's (for Secure) in everything but tying his shoes. And the teacher's comments read, "He is a sweet, lovable little teddy bear with those big brown eyes."

I have a feeling those eyes are going to get him out of a lot of shit as he grows up.

I'll see my daughter's report card at 3:00. And then she has her first t-ball practice of the year.

My grandmother would be so proud.

No comments: