Friday, July 14, 2006

Disappointment

Sometimes I just want to retreat into my little four-person family and shut out the rest of the world.

I am so angry right now.

Sometimes I wonder if I expect too much from people.

My daughter's birthday came and went, and, well, she got more birthday wishes from my blog friends than her family.

Grandma says she was "too busy" to get to the mall. At least she called. We haven't even heard from anyone else in the family. This kid has uncles, aunts, cousins, godparents and great grandparents, you know.

I'm not even looking for presents here. Just a card would have made her happy. Hell, they could have folded a piece of notebook paper in half and made a card and she would have been thrilled. They could have E-mailed or called and she would have been ecstatic.

The only person who came through was my mother-in-law. She sent clothes, a book, not one but two cards (one funny, one sweet--Now I know where my husband gets it from.), and even called to wish her a happy birthday. And the first words out of my daughter's mouth when she got on the phone were, "Thank you so much for my dress!"

What's my daughter's take on her birthday? A day that was highlighted by a cupcake, three gifts from us, Chinese food for dinner, and violin practice?

"Mommy," she kept saying. "This is the best day of my life!"

I may sound petulant and spoiled but someone has to. Clearly she's too busy being happy and well-adjusted to see the injustice.

It wasn't until she was safely tucked away for the night that I even realized how angry I was. When I found myself crying I realized just how hurt I was feeling. It's one thing to ignore my birthday year after year. But this is my kid! She deserves way more.

A couple of months ago, she asked us if we could go to Sea World this year for her birthday, instead of having a party. We readily agreed. Sea World is one of my favorite places on Earth and they have free admission for military this year.

So if I ever get over my tiff and start packing, we'll be leaving in the morning for San Antonio. When did a seven-hour drive become a weekend trip for us?

At least I'll have plenty of time in my little four-person family bubble. I'm going to appreciate the hell out of my little fold this weekend. I've got myself a pretty awesome little family.

No comments: