Friday, September 22, 2006

Fairy Farewell

Amidst all of yesterday's chaos, my daughter managed to lose a tooth that she has been stressing over. (Mom prevails again by booby trapping her lunch box with banana chips.)

As my husband drove her and her brother home from soccer practice she announced that she knew the tooth fairy was really only us leaving her money. My husband scrambled to cover that up really fast and not ruin things for my son.

But after my son was in bed, she came up with a plan. She wanted to set up a video camera in her room to catch the fairy at work.

Damn, she's growing up fast. Chic haircuts, orthodontists, signing pop music...it all goes in the blink of an eye. I'm sure this will be her last year with Santa Claus. Or maybe last year was her last year.

If it were any other night, I would have set up the video. And convinced my husband to dress up as a fairy to deliver her two dollars. Wouldn't that have made a grand farewell to her tooth fairy years? And a great memory for her to have when she has kids of her own?

No comments: