Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Who loves you, baby?

When my husband says goodbye to his mother on the phone, he always says, "I love you, Ma." I think that is incredibly sweet.

When we talk on the phone, he almost always ends it with, "Love you."

And I always reply, "Love you too."

I have friends who have code words--their own secret language--that they use to let their partner know that they love them when they hang up the phone.

But I almost never tell people that I love them over the phone.

I think there will always be a part of me that feels like those words lose power if they get too routine. So while I have no problem telling my husband and children that I love them whenever the mood strikes, very few other people in my life ever hear those words. And that includes my mother.

If you've ever me heard say those words, you know I damn well mean them.

Do you say, "I love you," when you say goodbye? Do you use code words?

Is it ever possible for the words "I love you" to become overused?

No comments: