Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Just when I thought I was out...

Remember how excited I was about being released from my orthodontist's care?

Well, that feeling was quick and fleeting.

Today the kids went to the dentist and my daughter got an orthodontic referral. Can you hear my huge, heaving sigh from there? Like mother, like daughter. There goes her wedding fund.

And the boy? Oh, it gets even better. He has a mutant tooth growing upside-down and backwards right above his front teeth. They asked me if they could take extra x-rays to show all their dentist friends. So he'll be headed to my oral surgeon once his baby teeth come out. Hopefully the mutant tooth won't grow into his brain by then.

How about that sigh? Did you hear that one?

While the entire dental staff huddled around his x-rays to ooh and ahh I had a flashback of the same thing happening to me. Like mother, like son.

I wonder if all of my family's mutant extra teeth are really some remnant of alien beings. Or undeveloped twins. (They did briefly think I was having twins with both my pregnancies.)

Maybe that's why my son bangs his head in his sleep. He's trying to shake his undeveloped brother free.

No comments: