Friday, June 04, 2004

What's in a name?

Okay. I'm sure that you all know my first name by now. I'm not exactly a super-spy or anything. I haven't exactly been hiding it. But I have been hesitant to splash it all over these pages because I need to appease my husband's sense of security. He has valid concerns about bad guys trolling the net to prey on officers' families.

But if it weren't for him, my blog wouldn't be anonymous at all. I just don't have a very good filter. I'll tell just about anyone anything, as long as they ask first. (Let's ignore that I said that and move on.)

All of that being said, I hate my name. I always have. It has to be one of the most boring names ever. And as boring as my last name is now, my maiden name was even worse.

People rarely call me by just my first name. Everyone tends to use both my first and last name when they talk to me. Isn't that kind of weird? I think it's partly because my first name is probably the most popular girl's name of the 70s. And I think it's partly because my name is very close to a famous person's name. Which causes people to call me by her first name instead of my own.

And I've never had a nickname. I stole Tuna from my husband.

But I do have an absolute adoration for endearments. Call me Sweetie and I am like putty in your hands.

I sort of remember my father calling me Love when I was very little. But other than that, my parents always used my first and middle names combined.

My husband has pretty much always called me Hon. Not even Honey, but Hon. That's okay. When my daughter was born, he started calling her Darling. I had never heard him utter that word before then and I think it is rather sweet that he has his own special endearment for her. He'll occasionally call me Darling and I have to ask if he's talking to me.

I call my husband Hon too. But lately I've become partial to Baby or Babe. I'll call my kids every endearment in the book. And a few that aren't.

So all you blog people who use endearments when you comment or E-mail me...oh, man! You're feeding my starved little heart.

In the I Have Way Too much Time on My Hands file, these are the lovely things you've called me:

Sweetie, My Sweet
Baby, Babe, Baybee
Darling, Darlin'
Honey
Punkin
Girl, Girlfriend, Sister
(and my favorite) Slut

I've even gotten kisses and hugs XOXOXO

Oh. You love me. You really love me. Or you're at least good at making it sound like you do.

No comments: