Thursday, January 06, 2005

Case In Point

I have to have a follow-up surgery next Tuesday to remove the suspension wires that are embedded in my skull and protruding through my gums. Fun.

And just as I was feeling really sorry for myself, CB called me.

She wanted to let me know that her husband was taking Tuesday off of work to watch all the kids, and that she would take me to the surgery and care for me afterward.

I appreciate that. Immensely. For all her Christian Fundamentalism, I love her.

But then we were talking about the long hours her husband has been working and the fact that he's moving to a job with longer hours. And then she told me that there is a good chance he'll be going to Korea for a year.

Her husband has been deployed more than anyone I know. She's had two children during those times. She has a two year-old and a one-year-old.

She started crying while we were talking. I know I'm the only one she'd ever do that with.

I just have no words. None.

Tears. I have plenty of those. And she's not the only one I'm crying them for.

No comments: