Sunday, January 16, 2005

Gaydar

I've always been fascinated by gaydar. It's a pretty interesting topic, if you think about it.

But I'm hardly an expert on gaydar, for obvious reasons.

And that raises the question: Can straight people really have gaydar, or are we just making judgments based on stereotypes?

I've always thought of myself as someone who can really see people for who they are. It doesn't take much for me to see right to the core of a person. But this can lead me to make decisions about people's character before I really even know them.

That used to bother me a lot. I'd instantly get the sense about someone, "Oh. She's really shallow," and then feel so bad. Who am I to make such quick judgments?

But after years and years of being proven right again and again (and sometimes getting hurt when giving second chances) I decided to trust my instincts.

And this is true when it comes to gaydar too.

Maybe I can see the nuances when other people don't take the time to look. Or maybe I've been so close to enough gay people that I can just sense who is and who isn't. Or maybe I really am just making judgments based on stereotypes.

And besides, how do I know that my gaydar is really all that great. It's not like I'm hooking up with people and finding out for sure.

Though I did find this interesting little game via Daniel at ...was I there?

How Good is Your Gaydar

Here are my results:

You impressively scored 80%.
You personally got 16 of the 20 people correct and were better at
recognizing girls than guys. Overall, you guessed better than 85% of all test
takers.


Well, hmmm. I'm just not sure what that means.

What do you think?

No comments: