Friday, January 07, 2005

Show Me the Funny!

I'm quite sick of myself, thank you very much.

I want nothing more than to have a funny little post for you today. But as you can tell by how late this post is, I've got nothing.

But in the last few days, I've spoken to two different people about being funny. And they were both very funny people, though in completely different ways.

I've never thought of myself as funny. Ever. Oh, I crack myself up alright. But I'm the only one who's ever laughing.

I guess this may stem from the fact that my husband and I have completely different senses of humor. We can watch any given sitcom and laugh at decidedly different parts through the whole show. When I say what I think are funny things to him, he'll often roll his eyes at me.

And I can only think of a handful of times when people laughed at me. Or, preferably with me. But at me is okay too.

When Pony redesigned my site (and by the way Pony, I keep getting searches looking for dolphin blog templates) I was really surprised that he included the words "housewife humor in water" on the banner. Surprised and a little dismayed, to be honest with you.

It's one thing to accidentally spew forth something funny on occasion. It is another thing entirely for people to expect you to be funny.

Because I don't know much about humor, but I do know this: Trying to be funny never works.

You can't force it. Funny things have to just occur to you. And often, a post that you think is going to just be hilarious (like my recent pictures of myself) can totally flop. But posts that you don't even think twice about, just kill.

If you go back and read my archives (and why don't you? Get to know me!) you'll find that at least half of my posts are very serious. Or cranky. Or pissy. Or downright morose. In fact, BoBo describes me as "thought provoking" in his link list. (What the FARB is up with that, BoBo?)

But I'm absolutely sick of being that way right now. So I'm trying to be funny.

And I got nothing.

BUT!

I may not drink, so I'm not a funny drunk. But I love people who drink. They make me giggle. So here, for your singing pleasure, is my favorite Irish drinking song.

Sing it fast boys!

I'm not a pheasant plucker,
I'm a pheasant plucker's son.
But I'll be plucking pheasants,
'Till the pheasant plucker comes.

Again! Faster!

I'm not a pheasant plucker,
I'm a pheasant plucker's son.
But I'll be plucking pheasants,
'Till the pheasant plucker comes.


One more time! With feeling! And FASTER!

I'm not a pheasant plucker,
I'm a pheasant plucker's son.
But I'll be plucking pheasants,
'Till the pheasant plucker comes.


Oh dear lord. But I do crack myself up.

No comments: