Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Hello. My name is Tuna Girl.

Thanks to a few links from these blogger big boys, my blog has more visitors than ever. Well, not as many as when I posted pictures of drunk bloggers, but still more than I'm used to.

Knowing that there are new people visiting my blog has made me very self-conscience.

First of all, I do not want to become the poster blog for the left-behind military wife.

I recently read an article in Redbook (the bookstore was out of MEN Magazine) about military wives that really pissed me off. The wives were portrayed as these morose, tragic figures. Even in the pictures, they were all wearing these I'm a tragic figure but I'm brave faces.

I was so mad at these wives. Is that really the image we want to portray? I wouldn't let myself be photographed or quoted in such a way for a national publication. Or in any way, for that matter. (Let's ignore for a minute that I publish morose stuff to my own blog on a regular basis.)

I don't want to be a tragic figure. My life just isn't that bad. In fact, I've lead a really charmed life. I love my life!

I know that I have friends who are worried about me. And while I appreciate that they care, I just feel that there are so many people, friends of ours too, who are so worse off. Who are fighting much more challenging battles. I feel bad for sucking up their concern.

But back to the topic at hand, I've realized that many new visitors to the blog wouldn't even know that my husband is deployed and I have two small kids unless they read back some in my archives.

I've been meaning to write up a simple About Me page since last March. I am a master at procrastination.

But to tell the truth, I have no idea what to write.

A lot of you guys know me pretty well. You've been reading my blog for a while or you've actually met me in person. You're my friends.

So since I am in absolute self-serving mode lately, I have a request to make of you.

If you had to introduce me to a friend of yours, what would you say?

And let's try not to embarrass the poor, left-behind, military wife, hmmm?

No comments: