Thursday, April 29, 2004

I Enjoy Being a Girl

I sure got the women going in the comments section yesterday. It's funny how that particular topic gets under our skin. So today, I have females on the brain.

****

A week from Sunday is Mother's Day. Call your mother! Or if not your own, call someone's mother. It will make her day.

Last week my daughter (who has mastered how to call Grandma and Grandpa on the telephone all on her own, much to the detriment of my phone bill!) asked my mother if she could come to her dance recital and her May Pole program at school. My mother is completely wrapped around my daughter's little finger, so she started looking into airline fares.

She couldn't find anything cheap enough to rationalize another trip down here, especially since she'll be making three more trips this summer.

So for Mother's Day, I paid her airfare. Now who's wrapped along my daughter's little finger?

I'm pretty excited. If nothing else, it will be nice to not have to go to these things alone.

****

My daughter will often talk about having her own babies. She'll name her little girl Ashley and she'll let her wear dresses everyday. So I ask her what she'll do if she has a boy. "Oh, I won't Mommy. I'll have a girl baby." Let's hope.

But she also talks quite a bit now about being in the Air Force. I would never deter her from something she really wants, but I'd really rather she not subject herself to that kind of life. But yesterday she told me she would go to college, then to Air Force school. She said, "But I'll still be a mommy, Mommy."

She thought for a few minutes, and then said, "But I don't want to have a baby." When I asked her why she sort of rubbed her tummy and said, "Well, remember when you had surgery to have a baby and they cut your tummy."

Um. No. I didn't have a C-section. Where the heck did she get that idea? So she told me that her teacher told them all about having her baby. Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that a preschool teacher would talk about a C-section?

****

While I can be as feminine as the next woman, I'm not really a girly girl. I never really have been. So here, for your consideration, the top 5 reasons why I'm not a girly girl.

5. Although I drive a mini van, I also drive a blue '68 Chevelle Malibu. Which causes me to be hit on by teenagers and 20-somethings at every red light.

4. Although I twirled baton as a kid, I also played every sport I could, including tackle football with my husband and our friends every Sunday in high school.

3. I never wear make up. Well, I wore make up on my wedding day. Now when I have to go formal, I wear some chap stick. I just don't see why women should have to wear a mask for the world, when men don't.

2. I can drink anyone under the table. No girlish, drunken giggling for me.

1. I really love to...well...let's just leave this one unsaid, and let your dirty imaginations fill in the rest.

No comments: